A statistically reliable sample of kerbside waste bins were collected and sorted to identify the proportion of waste to recyclables. The results of the investigations from this study have revealed the following:
- The average weight per bin was 10.00 kg overall.
- Recyclables (7.5%) plus Paper/Newspaper/Cardboard (10.9%) in the Garbage stream represents 18.4% of the total by weight.
- Recyclables (11.8%) plus Paper/Newspaper/Cardboard (14.5%) in the Garbage stream represents 26.3% of the total by volume.
- Garden organics represented 17.6% of the total by weight and 12.7% by volume.
- Food organics represented 26.2% by weight and 12.0% by volume.
- Currently there are 29,400 tonnes (approx.) going to landfill each year from the six municipalities. The potential diversion from the garbage stream of recyclables plus paper/cardboard based on current1 available data is 18.3%.
- Potential maximum tonnes of recycling that could be diverted from the garbage stream are 4,950 tonnes. Recovery Rate is estimated at 72%.